Sunday, March 27, 2005

Truth to Live

A lot of people I know are not themselves. They don’t swear, they don’t shout, they don’t do things that aren’t “right”. In a way, they are very much like a robot. Allow me to give you an example.

A friend I know is in law school. In his first year, he was very quiet in school. Mostly because most of his other law friends have been molded that way. You see, in the stereotypical world… law students are supposed to be prim and proper, mature and diplomatic, quiet but knowing. So friend totally didn’t enjoy himself. He was so bored… Luckily for him, he’s back to himself this year in school and having a hell lot of a better time. Good for you, friend!

I am not one of those types of people. I do what I like. I sing what I enjoy. I eat whatever I crave. It’s true… I piss people of sometimes unintentionally or otherwise. Life isn’t perfect anyway and you can’t satisfy everyone. So I’ve decided to satisfy myself instead and what good comes out of it?

I’m a happy person.
I have no worries because I don’t have to spend half the time pretending to be someone/ something I’m not.
I see life itself in a very different way from what “the others” see it as.

I’m not saying that “the others’” way of living is bad. It’s just… it’s so hypocritical. It’s like, they say something in front of you then say 2 things different about that behind your back. Oh, please! Where’s the honesty and sincerity in your message then?

That’s why I’d also like to congratulate one of my cousins Clement who managed to break out of being called a “stereotype”. hehe He was a Sergeant in NS (National Service) and instead of treating his platoon like dogs… he instead treated them with love and care. No, he’s not a wuss! He just believes in being nice to your platoon because they will understand and they will one day turn out as great soldiers and sergeants and lieutenants too!

I remember reading one of them newspaper articles about the NS officers drowning a poor boy. How cruel is that? In fact, they’re not alone. Most of the officers are meanies. A lot of people I know who graduate (I know, it’s supposed to be ORD (Operationally Ready Date) but it sounds so much nicer) from NS are so god damn happy to be out of camp. They just hated the place because of the way their officers treated them.

The Singapore NS is supposed to train youths to protect and shield the country in case of a war. Why don’t they make it an enjoyable and memorable 2½ years for them? Why do they have to make it so painstakingly awful to go through?

I don’t know. I suppose… it’s just humans and their “cliché-d” behaviour again. People with authority… can treat the ones below them with disrespect. Aww, it sucks but I guess that’s life.

No comments: