Monday, March 21, 2005

complain blog

My past blogs has been just nonsense subjects that I thought of. This is one blog entry where I'm going to really vent my frustrations. Oh, I’m so sad, hurt, etc. I can’t even explain how I feel! Pardon me if you disagree but I’m just so frustrated.

I just got a call from my boyfriend to tell me that he’s going back to Malaysia this weekend for a business visit. Fine, I understand that. Then, he tells me that it’s regarding a future project which will see him working full-time and permanently in Malaysia.

Thank you so much for not informing me any earlier. I know, he hates this place. He can’t wait to leave Singapore but what exactly is so bad about this place? Perhaps he doesn’t feel it because he’s a guy!

These are my reasons for wanting to stay put in Singapore and I think it’s pretty logical:

1) I’m a girl
In Malaysia: Girls get raped/ teased/ kidnapped/ looked down upon/ harassed/ beaten/ molested and all the other humiliating things done quite often. You read reports of these (so I’m not just assuming) in newspapers every day!

In Singapore: Girls are a tad safer. We can confidently walk around in shorts/ skirts/ skimpy little clothing and still arrive home safely. We don’t feel threatened when we take the taxis alone at night. We are protected by the law.

2) I’m Chinese
In Malaysia: It is a multi-racial country but racism there is quite strong. It has been peaceful so far but memories of May 13th lingers and there’s a very huge possibility that it could happen again anytime. The Malays (or Muslims) get special rights and benefits in Malaysia. To hell with the Chinese.

In Singapore: It is more of a Chinese country. Here, it is the other way around. If you’re Chinese, you’re respected. Personally, I’m not racist but it would be better if I stayed here than in a country which is anti-Chinese.

3) Safety/ Security Reasons
In Malaysia: Girls and boys alike can’t even go out in peace. Couples who go out for a drink in a coffee shop can get beaten to death by gangsters and mobsters in Malaysia. The country is very corrupt.

In Singapore: You can totally let loose and enjoy yourself when you’re out. You can drink to your hearts’ content and not worry that somebody is going to come and rob you. Saying thus, I don’t mean that there isn’t crime in Singapore but compared to Malaysia, it has such a low crime rate.

4) Job Opportunities
In Malaysia: With my Degree and experience, I could probably only get a job which pays me around RM1800?

In Singapore: I’m getting a current pay of about S$2200 and not only is it more than what I would get in Malaysia dollar-to-dollar. The exchange rate also is higher so it benefits me if I save up and retire in Malaysia some day…

5) Cost of Living
In Malaysia: The public transport sucks. To get to one place from the other, you would need at least 2 hours. Plus Malaysia is big so getting from one place to the other means quite a distance. So it would be more practical to buy a car in Malaysia. If you were living in places like KL or Johor Bahru, the cost of living is not cheap. A plate of Chicken Rice can cost you something like RM3.50 to RM4.00.

In Singapore: The public transport is excellent. Everything is air-conditioned, it even comes with an on-board TV. So it is not necessary to buy a car and spend more on parking/ petrol/ road tax. The cost of living can be quite reasonable. In Singapore, if you’re living anywhere outside the CBD (Central Business District), a plate of chicken rice costs only about S$2.00 – S$2.50. Dollar-to-dollar, it is so much cheaper than Malaysia. It’s true… houses and cars are expensive. Well, there is no need for a car so that’s money saved there. As for a house, it is expensive but still affordable.

I could go on but I guess that’s enough to substantiate my subject today. I suppose it is of no difference to a boy. But when it comes to a girl, the safety or peace in a country makes a hell lot of a difference.

My boyfriend has his rights. He has his life and has his dreams. He can bloody do whatever he wants. I’m just disappointed because he did not at least tell me about his plans before making any concrete decisions. I feel that we’re a couple and should at least consult each other whether or not the other party likes it.

Well, I guess I’m like what every boy says his girlfriend is. Just an extra piece of accessory. *sigh* Back to reality… got work to do in the office.

No comments: