Sunday, March 27, 2005

Peanut Craze

In Singapore & Malaysia (I don't know about other Asian countries), people usually serve peanuts and coffee at a wake. My dearest granduncle Lau Khor Tiew whom I blogged about has passed away. On 25th March 2005, he left earth and all its imperfections for the supposedly perfect yet wonderful and beautiful Heaven! He died on Good Friday, which is the "best" day to die on (if there is ever such a thing as "best" when it comes to death) according to Catholics/ Christians as it is the day that dear Jesus died too.

The wake was held for only 2 days, Saturday and Sunday followed by the funeral on Monday morning. My sister Ying, cousins Luke, Mark, Claire and I were helping out with the guests and little stuff. We were serving drinks, clearing tables, greeting and ushering guests and also making sure that everything was alright and dare I say (now that it's over) that we did an excellent job! *grin*

So anyway, most part of the morning and day was spent doing nothing. We were basically just chatting with the uncles/ aunties and cousins. A few of us got so bored that we decided to de-shell our own batch of nuts so that when we felt like eating them later, we could just pop them little nuts into your wet waiting mouths. This was the fruit of our labour:


Yummy! Yummy! Food for my Tummy!

We spent about ½ an hour de-shelling the nuts. There were 5 of us. Photo to be uploaded later. Once we were done with the de-shelling, I got up to some mischief. I quickly grabbed the jar, posed a shot and took this picture:


Grr... It's mine! The Nuts Belong to Me!

Then I ran around with the jar shouting "It's mine - I peeled all of it" which is a total lie. I even got into a tiff with a cousin who had no share in de-shelling the nuts because I refused to let him eat any. Ha! Ha! The fun in eating something that you have painstakingly put in some of your effort and sweat... is just exhilarating! You sit down, think about how much you've worked and you slowly crunch em' peanuts. Yummy!