Saturday, November 26, 2005

Test Tube Babies

I went to visit a friend in KK hospital today who just gave birth. She gave birth to 2 very lovely dizygotic twins. The kind I've always dreamed of. A boy and a girl. It's perfect, really. I want both boys and girls and it'll be such a hassle to give birth so many times. So just once, suffer a little more but after that, you're done. hehe

Anyway, I was in the room with my cousin and I softly asked her "Are they test tube babies?" and she gave me this stare which said "Keep your bloody mouth shut!". Okay, I admit. As soon as I said it, I realised that it probably wasn't the right time and right place to ask that question. My cousin then told my friend what I asked and she questioned why I would think so. So I very truthfully and honestly told her that it wasn't easy to get twins, let alone unidentical. Plus, it's of a different gender!

Anyway, I checked with my boyfriend after that and asked him if it was too insensitive of me to ask that question. He thinks that I could probably cause the couple to lose face (feel embarassed) or come across as a bloody busybody. I agree about the busybody part. It's not my business to know whether or not the child was naturally or scientifically conceived. However, I tend to disagree that my question would embarass the parents.

First of all, if a man or woman has difficulty conceiving then it probably has to do with their sperm or ovums. Well, if there is any problem with these 2, I don't think it's their fault. It's just God's will! Nature! Pure bad luck! Whatever it is, I don't think the Man or Woman had deliberately inflicted hurt or poison against themselves so their genes aren't healthy.

So in that sense, I don't see why anyone has to feel embarassed/ useless/ weak etc. I think it's just perfectly normal. On the other hand, if the baby came out retarded due to over exessive drinking or smoking then the parents should be punished and laughed at. Or if the baby was born out of wedlock, then I think the parent should once again feel embarassed.

So with what happened today, I was wrong to question. I shouldn't have, it was too busybody of me. However I strongly feel that people should NOT feel ashamed of test tube babies. I hold absolutely no prejudice against them. Perhaps I've been looking at things from my perspective. What do you think? Is a test tube baby something someone should be embarassed of?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nothign to be ashamed of, but at the same time, none of your business;).. besides... unidentical twins aren't that rare also:P

Butter Pecan Candie said...

umm.....i for one, know that i might have to have test tube babbies in the future cos i've got a very weak ovary and irregular period cycles. BUT.......like what u said, really nothing to be ashamed of lor.

it's not like i stole the babies/babbies from other ppl. infact, if i were to adopt also, i won't feel embarassed.

cheh

LOW level minded ppl
or simply put...brainless fools