Tuesday, April 01, 2008

My last SCUBA pool session

Actually Dominic thought that we did alright for the last pool session but some of us weren't very comfortable with the diving gear. Scuba diving after all, is an equipment intensive sport. As shown on the left (clockwise), we have the fins - for your feet, Buoyancy Compensator - to be worn as a life jacket, Snorkel - for breathing, Mask - for your eyes. But that's not all. You have the regulator - for underwater breathing, weights - to help you sink and maintain a neutral buoyancy underwater and most of all, the aluminum tank - for oxygen.

The oxygen tank carries 200 bars (or 3000 psi) of air so it weighs about 20kgs. That's like carrying a huge pack of rice on your back. I also didn't like the regulator in my mouth. Makes me feel and look like an idiot.

Anyway, today a different instructor taught us our 2nd and last pool session. He is Koh Kiam Kiat, recipient of the "Best Instructor Award". How lucky are we that he will be training us for the Open Water this weekend. He is so detailed, patient and knowledgeable. I am glad to have taken up the Open Water Course with Diventures. I guess I'm ready for the sea. Here I come...

No comments: